Re: [RC] re:clipping aussies - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...Try wearling a nice fluffy angora sweater..."

Please don't construe this post as pro- or con- the clip  a dog debate.  I
do not have any evidence one way or the other about how much extra heat is
lost on a particular clipped dog.  To clip or not to clip, that is the
(personal) question*.

Whereas people and horses are set up to loose a lot of heat from the skin by
sweating, dogs do not sweat (except on the nose? and paws).  They must loose
most of there excess heat by panting.  A panting dog is not uncomfortable,
ready to die, or using lots of energy to pant.  They pant at the natural
rhythm of their lungs, inhale through the nose and out the mouth.  The
membranes in the nose are set up for this.  Note: pushed in faces mess this
up, those breeds have a real hard time in the summer.

It is also a fact that dogs do have more trouble than people in the heat.
One does have to be careful with them in the very hot weather if they are
asked to do lots of exercise.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

*apologies to Bill Shakespeare

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown