From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Richard M Levine
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 11:58 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Fw: The Belmont & Smarty Jones

Subject: Re: The Belmont & Smarty Jones

Hi Everyone:

I have been reading the various postings on yesterdays final leg of the Triple Crown. As you did, we watched the race with great interest hoping to have another Triple Crown winner after a long drought!

My initial concern was when the favorite pulled the 9 hole for his startiing position.......If he had gone out as he has in the past, running 2nd, 3rd or 4th, well rated, he may have gotten caught in a box.

Trying to find daylight when you are behind in a race this important must have been on the Trainers mind, as surely he gave instructions to the jock to go to the front early. He did just that. I watched him try to rate and settle him in once in front but that horse wanted to run..........he never really settled as we have seen him do previously, and the Trainer during his interview mentioned that as well.

He faught off several attempts by others to go to the front, but the Belmont has the longest final straighwaway, in all of horse racing.........that 5th gear which we saw so vividly at the Preakness, never seemed to materialize.....Perhaps spent earlier on.

The winning horse deserved the win, but boy o' boy, there were a lot of sad $2 ticket holders out there when it was all said and done...........

Have a great day....

Richard M Levine
Rainbow Arabians
Houston, Tx