Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 12:05 AM
Subject: [RC] Carol Stiles Injured-long

Carol Stiles was injured badly last Tuesday, June 1st. I just found out tonight from her mom. She was riding alone, but wearing her helmet, out by Cool. She was about half way through the Nickerbaucher loop (sp) when her gelding bucked hard for no reason that she can figure. He was going along great and she was thinking about how comfortable he was when she was launched. When she landed, she had hyper-extended her arm dislocating the elbow joint (minor) but also causing a compound fracture of the humorous. As if this was not enough, her brachial artery was severed. She managed to make a tourniquet out of the string on her reins and some vet wrap. She tried to walk but was going to pass out. Finding a low spot on the trail (no rocks or logs around to use as mounting blocks, how rude!) she managed to get back on. She had to slap Cosmo (good name for a horse that can launch you into the cosmos) with her good arm to get him to move. She was finally able to make it to a ladies house, first name of Jackie, where 911 was called. She was Life Flighted to Roseville Hospital. She has had 3 surgeries to de-breed the area and is due for a forth on Monday. They will try to sew it up this last surgery but she will probably have to have a skin graph as the skin has shrunk too much to stretch to fit. She also had a vein graph done to fix the brachial artery. Hopefully this will be the last surgery and she will be able to go home early next week. Infection is the biggy here.  There was so much debris in the fracture. Lord willing, all of the antibiotic's that she has been put on will take care of the infection. She would like everyone to know that there will be an open spot for Tevis. She does not believe that she will be attempting it this year. Also, one drop dead gorgeous gelding for sale, possibly soon, probably cheap.  Beccy, her friend in Utah. We have only been best friends since we were 12 years old. No, I will not tell you our ages,  but she is a teeny-weeny bit older then me. Until this accident, she looked a hell of a lot better than me. Hopefully this is only a temperary set back. Prayers are GREATLY appreciated.