From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 11:39 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] flexor tendon injury

Please Reply to: Merrill merrillk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm a fairly new rider with an 14 year old horse who seems to be
built for endurance so, I thought I would give it a try. We were
scratched before we started our last ride last weekend for a
subtle lameness in what seemd to be his right front leg. The vet
left it up to me & I didn't see any reason to start in that
shape. My vet came out 3 days later & diagnosed it as flexor
tendon injury although he seems to have the same amont of mild
discomfort in both front. Her suggestion was cold therapy
followed with dmso, a poultice & wrap his legs. My question is,
after I take it off, how long do I wait to repeat the process???
I have done the complete cycle twice & after hosing off the
poultice tonight he seemed really stiff so, I gave him a little
Bute. do I keep his legs wrapped between the tratment? should his
legs feel warm when I remove the poultice? Should they be warm
after a cold water hosing for 5 minutes?? I want to do what's
best for him.. but,I'm not sure what that is...Help

Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't
fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~  Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards