[RC] My daughter is safe at home laughing at the TV instead...... - Karen Sullivan

of being rushed to the emergency room at the local hospital.......because she was wearing her riding helmet!!!

Brenna and I did a very little ride today up Boot Hill at Highland Springs and back down the little trails. We rode bareback, and I rode Breeze, she rode Coyote.  Both horses were extremely well behaved and relaxed, and we went up and down hills with no problem.

Brenna was first coming into the parking area.  When she went by a friends trailer; Coyote kind of gave it a funny look...then when the dog popped out from behind it, she startled and  did an incredibly fast spook that unseated Brenna...Brenna tried to stay on, but the horse was moving out of control and scared, and Brenna was flung off in front of the horse. She does not feel like a saddle would have helped her stay on. Anyway, the horse galloped off but came right back.  Brenna landed on her rump, rolled to her back, and thumped her head on the ground pretty hard; all in the blink of an eye.  She had no way of controlling how she fell.  Upon scrutiny; the helmet showed a huge ding in the back from a rock...that probably would have gone into her skull.......the parking area was extremely hard ground with sharp rocks.....

Here is my lecture.....being a good rider is no guarantee of staying on a horse; horses trip and fall; and even old seasoned horses spook and unseat riders.....and heads are not always fixable.

This sort of thing is why it is ALWAYS a good idea to wear a helmet!!!

Even though my daugher was probably embarassed; she was encouraging me to post this to friends.....she was SO
glad she had a helmet on!!!
Karen