Re: [RC] Liberty Run Turtle - Jim Holland

Tim, saw you at the ride meeting, but never did bump into you anywhere.
Spent most of the time trying move as little as possible conserving energy.
:)

Hot, humid, and the sand was deep!  Magic and I did the first and third day,
finishing 18th on Friday, and 9th on Sunday, his first Top Ten, although we
weren't trying for that.  Other than a few B's on guts due to the heat he
was straight A's both days.

Friday was miserable.  The sand was so hot your feet burned when you walked.
The black flies, deer flies, and horse flies attacked in swarms on the
roads.  Magic, who won't go out of his stall to eat grass when the flies are
out burned a lot of energy shaking, stomping, and rubbing. He had bloody
spots all over him from me swatting fat flies.

I was so hot and dehydrated I wasn't sure I was going to go Sunday, but Joan
arrived on Friday evening and took over "care and maintenance" with her
usual efficiency and put both of us and put us back out there Sunday. The
Saturday riders caught a break because they had a nice rain Friday nite that
really cooled it down and firmed up the sand.  Sunday was just like Friday.

I think the Pioneer at Liberty Run was a success.  There were 40 starters in
the 55 on Friday and 28 on Sunday.  I'm sure there were at least that many
on Saturday. I hope the Pioneer version will continue.

We had a great place for a corral on a grassy "beach" right beside the lake.
Nice breeze most of the time. Magic was fascinated with the fishermen in
their boats...don't know that he had ever seen one! <grin> Perfect spot
except for the unbelievably noisy generator two trailers down.

Otis was head Vet, and did his "Southern Baptist Preacher" imitation at the
Friday nite ride meeting where the sermon this time was on "Cell Phones in
Vet Checks".  <grin> Dang, he's outta control again!  I thought Joan got him
straightened out at LBL, but I guess not!

OD 50 is next for Magic!  He is VERY happy with his RP saddle...AND it's
comfortable for me.  Finding a saddle for a very short back, high withers,
and asymmetrical shoulders is tough!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic