[RC] traction on horseshoes - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Natalie Hodges nhodges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, I am a new member, but couldn't find the post section for members. I buy,
ride, keep and resell Spotted Saddle Horses from Tennessee. They are almost
always shod with borium at the toes, and heels.The horses are often ridden on
paved roads in gait, to hear the timing of the footfall. UGH, I know!! Often
the feet are very unbalanced also. They are lucky these horses are not lame or
sore. I ride a lot over asphalt driveways, and often do not stop gaiting for
these short stretches. Plain shoes, even with a rim like Eventers ar still not
safe enough. I love and use a drilled-in and tapped Mustad stud. They come in 4
carbide tips widths, and shapes to vary from minimal traction to more, and do
not come out of the shoes. None provide as much grab as borium on the toes and
heels, but these studs could be installed at the toe and heels, for a similar
effect,  with more slide and less grab.The effect is very precise, the carbide
tips small, which something that is hard to control when melting borium on
shoes. It is hard to get even on all the places you melt it on.
Natalie

aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins