Re: [RC] Problems with electrolytes - Barbara McCrary

I now have a horse that I believe is going to be very satisfactory for me.
I no longer want a raving lunatic (well, I never WANTED one before, but it
seems like I've had my share of them), and this one appears to have started
well.  We have done one 50 miler, his first ride, and he was well-behaved
and had great vet scores.  I started his training slowly for several
reasons.  He arrived here in CA from Montana, a bit thin and dehydrated,
with a look of mild shock from the long trip.  I turned him out to pasture
for a week to recover and get used to a new place.  When I started riding
him, I walked everywhere for about 18-20 months, mainly because he was
spooky and I wanted to stay on him!  Also, he was a prairie horse and
forests spooked him.  Tall trees and patches of sunlight on the ground
startled him.  He had to cross creeks and wooden bridges and get used to
dogs running into and out of the brush. Walking and climbing lots of hills
obviously paid off.  He is well-muscled now, he climbs hills briskly.
Eventually, I had to ask him to trot and to lope and to keep an even pace
on the trail.  I have figured him for lazy a few times, but on his first
ride I found that he was all business and progressed along the trail in a
thoroughly professional manner.  I've had him two years, he has just turned
eight, and I figure by the time he is nine he will be hitting his real
stride in endurance. IMO, there is no such thing as a 30-day wonder; the
process of developing a good endurance horse cannot be rushed.  This horse
has taught me SO much, stuff I never discovered in 30+ years of endurance
riding.  Part of it stems from his being by far the smartest horse I've ever
known, and part of it comes from this "voyage of discovery", working my way
through his idiosyncrasies over the past two years.  He wouldn't even accept
me for the first nine months, and he tested me several times.  Then one day
he looked at me and told me that he believed he would keep me.  From then on
we were bonded, much like a person and a dog become bonded.  This is very
flattering....to have been accepted by a horse as HIS person.  I keep
waiting for the day that he might reject me, but it hasn't happened.  He
still snuggles every time I stroke his face and talk to him.  I have loved
few horses as I love this one.

Barbara