Re: [RC] Top five endurance horses-appys - Merry Wicklund

Wow Barbara! I am probably dating myself but I remember those days.  Sheila Varian used her stallion (brain fart.....I can't remember his name) to work cattle on her ranch.  She competed him in reining, I believe, in open shows and if memory serves they won at the Cow Palace.....which was BIG Qtr Horse competition at that time.  It did take a lot of courage to buck the trend.

I was also a founding member of the Oregon Dressage Society.  I designed the logo.  I wonder if it still exists.  Yep, we were a bunch of Arabs.  Does anyone remember Ward Wells?  He had the stallion "The Count of Al Marah".  The majority of my dressage training was with Ward in Oregon City, Oregon in the middle 1970's.  Our first clinic was with Herman Freidlander.  We were soooooooooo bad, I thought he would have a stroke.  LOL.  He did not mince words!!!!  Sadly, one of our Arab owners quit riding, sold all her horses, and her barn as a result of his critique.  As with the QH/Arab thing, we were considered a bunch of clowns by the Thoroughbred folks at the Lake Oswego Hunt Club.  Gotta love the good ole days!

  Merry

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My Arab gelding came from a ranch in Montana, bred by a man whose
grandfather bred remount horses. I asked him once WHY he was breeding Arabs
in Quarter Horse country. He said, with a tone of voice that hinted of
knowing something that no one else knew, that he found out that Arabs didn't
get tired when they worked cattle all day and he could ride the same horse
the next day, too. He must have had a lot of courage to buck the trend in
cattle and QH country. My gelding is no halter horse, but he has good legs
and feet, lower respiration than I'm used to, and terrific pulse recoveries.
He also has a lovely disposition and was calm at his first ride. I have yet
to see him tired, but I suppose it could happen. We'll see soon, as we're
going to a 5-day ride in a couple of weeks.

Barbara