RE: [RC] [RC] lameness question - vets?? - Laurie Durgin

We had our Tb come up with something like that ,neither trainer knew what it was, no lamness. Just spongy swelling that didn't bother him. Too late later we finally had it x-rayed. Was a torn synovial joint. Had to have it drained, and (adequan or legend) injected. Stall rest to heal , - retore it, thanks to the barn managers daughter, twice. Till we had to bring him home to heal. Left him with an ugly knee, which eventually got arthritis. IF we had done something sooner when it was smaller, he wouldn't have had as much damage.
I'd get it x-rayed, and quick. Vets can miss stuff or not have experience with it, especially if they are multi-animal vets.
We don't know how he did it, he was at the trainers barn, probably a fall in the pasture , vet said.I have learned , never mess with odd stuff on the joints. . . .

From: "Mike & Kathy Kelly" <reallykk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   lameness question - vets??
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:12:41 -0700

About a month ago my 6 yo gelding was a little off at the trot during a ride, so I decided to cut it short and walk him back home. One the way he stumbled going thru some rocks, it felt like he went down on his left knee, I jumped off to check and see how it looked, nothing noticeable and he walked OK, so I didn't worry too much about it. A few hrs later I looked out the window to see him very lame on his Right front (not the one he went down on).

He was very lame on the front for about 2 days, and during that time his whole knee got puffy. Then he started walking much better, but a sweek later it was still swollen so I took him to my vet. He had him trot out (lame) and did flexion tests, which he did not respond to at all. Vet thought it was heel pain (no reaction to the hoof testers, but said it could be deep in the heel) and didn't know why the knee was swollen. Soon after, I have a good equine massage therapist work on him, the muscles radiating out from his hips are very sore on both sides, she works on him and he remains comfortable in the hips since then, a dramatic improvement. She thinks the knee is an overuse injury (although I was riding him lightly we had been starting some slow hill work and that might have been the straw) that will heal quickly.

So 3 weeks later, knee is no longer puffy all over, but more bumpy on the lower surface of the joint (front part of the knee, inside lower area of the joint). He isn't lame at the walk, but I haven't seem him trotting around like normal, and I haven't ridden him. I take him to my vet again, thinking I should get it xrayed to rule out a chip. Vet says he looks sound trotting on pavement (straight), although he agrees the knee is still swollen, he says it is swelling of the jt capsule and xray wouldn't show anything. Sees no reason to do xrays, says horse isn't having any discomfort. Has me lunge him in a round pen, trotting both ways and he looks good. Vet says I'm worrying too much and to start light riding and see how it goes. I leave town for 2 days, return and see that his knee is twice as swollen as it was when I took him to the vet 2 days ago (still the front of the knee, but now the whole bottom 1/2 of the joint is puffy), which I'm assuming is from the lunging. He looks sound walking around.

I am still concerned about the knee, if it's swollen something isn't right. Not sure if I should just continue to give him more time off, or take him back for xrays or to another vet. Any suggestions for me out there???

Thanks much,
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding. ~ Homer Saferwiffle