Re: [RC] methods to encourage drinking in ridecamp - heidi

Now that I've purchased something I must return- (Equi-ade), I need to
get ideas of how to encourage my horse to drink in camp so he's got a
full tank on race day. Anyone have a very excited pony who can't focus
on taking care of himself in ridecamp? I already have a buddy in camp
with him, but this hasn''t proven to help him take care of himself any
better.

Do rides.  Do SLOOOOOOW rides.  Do LOOOOONG rides.  Get him used to the
concept that it is gonna be a LOOOONG day out there.

I've seen several that did not get the idea to relax in camp until they
either did multidays (so that they were tired, hungry, and THIRSTY in
camp), or until they did longer distances (may mean 50 miles, may mean 75
miles) so that they did not perceive the upcoming day as being a lark.

And by doing SLOW miles with them, they have a longer and thirstier day,
which makes them think about it a lot more the next time--but also does
not risk overriding them if they are dehydrated.

The buddy thing can backfire sometimes--have you always had a buddy with
this horse?  I am riding a horse now that was a nervous nellie to start
with, and always had a buddy in camp because hubby was riding him at rides
where I was riding another horse.  I was really pleased to see how much
BETTER he was by himself--I was dreading it, but it was actually a big
improvement.

Heidi

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins