[RC] Re-doing saddle riggings - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Laurie,I can't follow what you are talking about doing.However,in a general
way,I suggest that rigging modification is a VERY fertile field,and that all
saddle rigging designs are compromises;if your current rigging is causing you
problems,don't let the idea that "they MADE it that way" hold you back.They may
very well have"made it that way" for no good reason at all.I did some billet
replacements years ago on some name brand "English" saddles,and was repeatedly
shocked to see that the canvas or nylon strap the billets were sewn to was
connected to the tree with LITTLE SHORT CARPET TACKS,half of which were loose
or missing.(We would put 'em back on with short stainless steel wood screws)
Please look at the "mono" flap-rigging of the Synergist,Equinox,and Orth-Flex
(Express lite)saddles.That's the way to go,in my opinion,and I have put such
riggings on my own saddles,but bear in mind that any rigging will carry the
saddle with it fore and aft as it seeks out the narrowest part of the horse's
barrel,so some-trial and error may be necc.I made my flap rigging for my
trooper saddle out of a single sheet of very thick gauge leather,as a rough
"test" rigging,to be re-done in a more attractive manner after seeing how it
would work.Well,it has been in place now for several years,and  now it looks
like it came with the saddle originally.I'm sorry not to have any specifics
about what you have in mind,but i'm not clear on what that is.

than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland