[RC] drinking water - Jonni Jewell

I had one horse that I "taught" to drink. That being, when we came to water,
he had to drink. If he started sipping, looking around, sipping, gazing at
other horses etc. then we left. Moved on down the trail. I practiced on
training rides. As long as he was drinking, we stayed. But when his head
came up, we left and headed down the trail. This worked well for this horse,
and I knew right away at a water spot if he was thirsty, as he would either
start drinking immediately, or he would snub it, and keep going. I also
verbally told him "drink, drink, drink, drink" as he was doing so. It seemed
to help encourage him.

Now, I have a couple new horses to the sport, who are still learning to take
better care of themselves drinking and such. One, on his first 50, would not
drink the first 1/2 of the ride. When we got to lunch / vet check (it was a
multi-day ride with just one mid day check) I could see him thinking about
this situation (ears flicking around, and he was looking around the lunch
area...maybe for his trailer??? <grin>). I think he figured out we were NOT
done for the day, and went and drank long and deep. The rest of the
afternoon he drank much better than that morning. I think there is something
to those longer rides for a horse new to the sport, that teaches them to
care for themselves better. And the Multi-day rides are an even bigger
benefit. When you have to hunt for water along the trail, and might find
some little spring buried in the grass, and it is the only water they have
had for miles, many learn to take advantage of it when they have it, as it
might be awhile until the next water.  Of course, these rides are not for
every rider, as the rider must really know how to manage their horses in
such situations and ride accordingly.  I am looking forward to the XP this
summer, as I have a newer horse to the sport, that I think will really learn
to care for himself. I think he has great potential, so I want to make sure
he gets the right kind of start in the sport. Both physically, and MENTALLY.
(I love the not as race minded atmosphere of the multi-days)

Jonni

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith