[RC] Re; 100 mile horse characteristics - Tracy Cann

I am starting to get encouraged here.  My horse was totally mental and wired until we started doing multi-day 50s.  We did a year of multi-day LD but that didn't make much of an impression on him.  He's done one 3 day 55, one 2 day 55, and one 2 day 50 this season and is getting better and better.  He was always a good drinker but is better at that too.  At Cow-tanks and Renegade he really improved at drinking and eating.  Nothing like trotting in the desert to make you happy to see a water tank.  We would carry carrots in our packs since there was no grazing to be had.  It was so funny.  If he heard me crack a carrot or unzip my pack he stopped cold and turned his head to say "Hey lady, give me that!!  I'm starving!!!"  I almost went over his head a couple of times I was laughing so hard.  This coming weekend we're going to a 3 day 50 not far from where I live.  It's going to be hot and humid so allot different from NM.  I'm worried about the heat even though that's what he conditions in.  I had a horse crash once at a hot and humid ride.  Worst day of my life, so I'm paranoid.  In other words if he looks at me cross-eyed he's getting pulled.  I'm just going to play it by ear and watch him like a hawk.  Anyway, you guys got me thinking pretty serious about 100s.  Paulette thinks we should do one in the fall and then think about going to the Biltmore.  Not sure what the rest of the plan is but I'm sure she'll let me know.  Talk about feeling "froggy".  The horse will probably be fine but I may drop dead.  Ha ha.  Keep talking 100s.  I'm getting awfully brave here.

Tracy