Re: [RC] VERY Multi Use trails - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

If you live in an area where you are riding on public paths/trails/roads, I'd say that courtesy has everything to do with it. Courtesy will solve almost any problem.

I have miles and miles of interesting trails crisscrossing the countryside around me and I'm about the only equestrian using them. Why? Most of the riders out here for some reason assume that the other users of these trails will NOT be courteous and they tend to be rather rude themselves, so they naturally have problems. I say hello to everyone I meet (a real conversation killer when you have to say "Salaam aleikum" every 2 minutes) and I slow down for animals and babies. Teaches my horses to pay attention to the route when they learn that they may come around a corner at a canter and have to walk past a water buffalo.

I share my trails with at least 6 species of animals (camels, water buffalo, cattle, goats, sheep, donkeys, horses, dogs, chickens, geese, ducks and babies, for starters) and goodness knows how many vehicles...but most of them are working rather than out for fun. People who want to ride for fun and not have to be courteous usually ride in the desert where there are no paths and you can change your direction pretty much at random. You can see another rider approaching usually a kilometer or two ahead and avoid them easily. I'm passing right next to the homes of the fellaheen where their children may be playing in the middle of the trail, or the family donkey may be parked next to the trail and the donkey is the frightened one because it's never seen a horse with a rider. I actually prefer having to deal with my very-multi-use trails.

In Egypt you can even find yourself sharing a crowded city street with a donkey cart or a horse and carriage trailing a cow and a couple of sheep, so a bit of courtesy is always useful.

Maryanne