Re: [RC] ear/head shaking - Marv Walker

At 05:37 PM 5/23/04 -0400, Mike & Laurie Hilyard wrote:
Recently, a ten year old Arab mare of mine has started shaking her head every time she is ridden.  She is in a simple jointed snaffle, and has no chewing problems (I'll get the vet out to look at her teeth soon).  It isn't the vertical movement described in EQUUS this month, more of an ear shake that my other horses do when they are really sweaty.  She is doing this a quarter mile from the house when she's being led with my son on her (all 36 pounds of him).  When I scratch her ears, she has the normal scaly stuff pastured horses have, but nothing excessive, and she has no objection to my scratching her ears, she actually seems to enjoy it.  Our fly season hasn't really geared up yet.  Any opinions, and/or solutions?  I'm considering switching to an english hackamore (my preferred bit).

Do a web search for "photic headshaking", include
the quotes.

Marv "I know it's just a game.  You should see me
when I lose in real life." Walker
2004 Events: http://MarvWalker.com/2004.htm