Re: [RC] Question for Heidi(finally got my se results!!) - heidi

HI,
Just got my selenium results back from MSU. The mare, who I'm riding the
hardest, came back 196.(MSU  adequate ranges are 160-275, below 70 is
deficient) The gelding tested at 141. They're not as low as I was
fearing!! My question is, do you think oral selenium supplements will be
enough to bring these guys up? If so, how long should I wait to have
their levels rechecked? Or should I be looking into se injections? I'm
not having any problems that I know of(well,,,I shouldn't have said
that,,, leaving for a ride with the mare tomorrow!!), just want to know
how I should handle their selenium requirements.

At that level, I'd try oral supplementation.  The mare at 196 is pretty
good but supplementation would still be good.  (Target 200 as the low end
of normal.)  The gelding at 141 needs some help.  Commercial levels (the
added 2mg per day) might be enough.  Give it a try and recheck in about 6
weeks.  At 196, if you have problems with the mare, I'd look for something
other than a selenium deficiency...  :-)

Heidi

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris