[RC] re: getting through a 100 miler - Cindy Collins

Great advice from all the pros.  I would like to add (OK, all you friends,
stop laughing!) that quite a few people have some degree of dizziness,
nausea or vomiting during the night portion of 100s, especially if the
terrain is downhill.  Just don't be shocked if this happens and don't
think you're a wimp...you just have an uncooperative inner ear.  Amy Ford
finally gave up doing 100s because she got tired of vomiting on her horse
at the end of 100s, but some of us aren't that bright.  I've completed
somewhere around 17 one-day 100 milers and I can almost guarantee that if
the finish is steep downhill in the dark I will vomit.  The good news is
that once I do, I'm fine.  I've tried all the remedies in the world and
some help a little, but not significantly.  This should not discourage
anyone from riding 100s, but you might consider a little non-drowsy
dramamine or chewing on some ginger candy, etc.  I've never hallucinated,
yet, but there's always next time!  BTW, all of you statistical folks, it
would be fun to see a ranking of riders by the number of one-day 100s
they've completed.  Cindy

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris