[RC] re: any horse can do 25, etc. - Melissa

Hi - another newbie seeking advice..
got a new horse- 10yr old Arab mare (may well turn out to be more than I can handle- jury is still out)
Just trying to get ready for my first ride
and I don't know much about training. I just started dressage lessons (on advice from an earlier post)
Last 2 times on the trail- she bucked me off (I was alone) she was too excited to stand still for me to remount.
I walked her home and she did prance circles the whole way home!!!!
I have no one to train with -so should I just walk her on the trails till she learns
to mellow out or go back to square one and work more in the arena???
Melissa/MN

If he starts getting excited when you leave while riding him, get
off....and walk on foot (I've done this for up to 2 hours, with a horse
spinning circles around me).  By doing this they learn that they must
simply calm down, if they want to make forward progress.  It does get thru
to them.
Have patience.  Lots.  Don't give in!

A horse can be physically ready to do what you ask, but if they aren't
there mentally it still doesn't work.  I'm working on that now with Chief,
with him it is a mental thing.
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland