RE: [RC] [RC] Steep hills - Laurie Durgin

You want to keep your legs under your center, with weight in them, not necessarily 'forward" (if the horse dropped out from under you ,you want to be dropped standing , (with knees bent slightly).Try practicing in front of a mirror.Make sure your shoulder, hip and ankel are 'lined up'.
Also if your stirrups are too long ,(ie. straight leg), on hills, I believe you'll find it difficult to keep your feet under you. Even if you ride with them long. If a steep section is ahead, you could shorten them just for that section.
Also when going up. Fold from the Hip, (this will keep your back straight, and your balance better over your feet.) Grab mane , halfway up to help hold yourself off their back, if your need too.

From: "wdj777" <wdj777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp (E-mail)" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Steep hills
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:28:39 -0400

Hi, I am having trouble keeping my legs foward going UP steep hills. Also my horse wants to run up these hills not trot. Any ideas for me ? Thanks in advance!
Diane & Brazz

Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball Gameday Audio! http://radio.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200491ave/direct/01/

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"        :)
~  Kat Swigart