[RC] ...Not all trails are conducive to a shorter distance ride... - Jonni Jewell

Here on the east coast, short loops are easier to come by than
long ones.  We just don't have the wide open spaces, so there
are fewer venues for 50/100 mile rides than exist in the west.
Fewer 50/100 mile rides therefore mean fewer LD rides, due to
the rule that they must be held together. <<<<

But there is NO reason to make a "rule" as you previously suggested that
must REQUIRE a ride to have LD along with the ride, as it would effect all
the regions........not just the problem that you perceive in the East.

The regions are all very different in what they have to offer AERC. Some
areas are very trail abundant, while others indeed have limited venues to
choose from. Moving from CA to TX, I was surprised to find out how little
"public" riding areas there were as compared to CA, considering TX is known
for its "wide open spaces", and CA is thought of as over congested and over
populated. Fact is, many of the rides in TX are held on private (large)
ranches. Also, the rides are very spread out. Many riders drive (guessing) 3
or more hours to every ride.

It is often difficult to get a perspective of the regional differences,
until one does some rides in other regions. While CT riders might not think
much about hauling many hours to a ride, I understand some regions the
riders refuse to haul more than a couple hours MAX.

Anytime someone suggests some "rule", I don't think they always look at how
it would effect all of AERC, as they are only looking at how it would effect
them.

Jonni

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm