Re: [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler? - Barbara McCrary

I heartily agree.  I cannot abide a slow walk and have always trained a horse for a fast walk.  Some are already programmed for it, some have to be trained, others have to be urged much of the time, lest they forget they CAN do it.  But if a horse finally "gets" its and locks it into his way of going, it's wonderful!

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:31 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Ways To Know You Are Ready for 100 Miler?

Another thing that any aspiring 100-mile rider should do is work on the

horse's WALK.  It is by far THE most neglected gait on most endurance

horses, and I can tell you from personal experience sitting around waiting

for riders to come into checks and to come into the finish in the dark

that most horses travel at 2-3 mph at a walk in the dark.  There is no

need for this--work on the walk on training rides, and on any horse worth

his salt and capable of doing the distance, you ought to be able to foster

a reliable walk of AT LEAST 4 mph.

[Kathy Ramspott]

Do others agree with this?  My girl walks SO slow it is pretty sad.  It does make sense what Heidi says, should that be incorporated into training rides, I guess a kind of 'working walk'?