Re: [RC] why we ride?? - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 5/16/2004 10:04:04 PM Central Standard Time, paus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Whether we do 25s or 100s or multidays, there's
something wrong with us, LOL... we ride in rain, snow,
heat, and  Pay for this Privelege, LOL...In the end,
we bring home trinkets and t-shirts, piles of dirty
stinky ride clothes, sometimes bumps and bruises, and
dirty horses.

Chris, that about sums it up...we do this because we love it and love spending time with our horses and friends on the trail.  My farrier is a team roper, and does pretty well in the local competitions he enters.  I've learned a lot about team roping from him, and he asks me lots about distance riding.  When he asked what the prize money was, and I laughed and said, "well, if we complete, we usually get a t-shirt," I thought he was going to fall over in shock!  <VBG>  He then asked what the entry fees were, and I told him what they average for 25, 50, and 100 mile rides.  He asked if the 100 milers got better prizes...I said no, they get the same t-shirt as 25 and 50 milers.  He just shook his head.  He's always interested in my rides and how far I've ridden lately.  When I casually mention doing a 15 or 20 mile conditioning ride, he is amazed that anyone routinely rides that far.  Non-distance people clearly think we're nuts...

Dawn in East Texas