RE: [RC] [AERC-Members] LD discussion - hope lundquist

Hi Carolyn: Are you Kidding? Who is going to rank RIDERS? Sounds like a very dangerous job!
Bye Hope Lundquist

From: CS4Winds@xxxxxxx
To: AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AERC-Members] LD discussion
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:51:56 EDT

I have read with both amusement and disgust many of the posts that have been
done on LD and BC awards. While I have ridden 50's, my current venue is
probably career LD rider. I just enjoy riding but can't seem to consistently
condition well enough for distances any longer than that. I also have a couple of
thousand miles in CTRs. It is very fortunate that here in the midwest (I ride
Ohio, Michigan mainly with some done in PA, IN and KY) that there are numbers
of LD rides and for the most part the managers and participants do not treat
LD as just a training ride or that a bunch of Novices are riding. Most of
those I have ridden give the BC on the same form as they do the 50s & 100s. LD
riding has come a long way from when it first began, thankfully.

I race sometimes and pleasure ride other rides. Why not just ride on my own
than compete - it would certainly be less costly, could be done only when the
weather is nice and over my choice of terrain? The only answer that I can
give is that there is a competition when done at an organized ride. This is
probably true for most of those that enter the sport.

I gave the above information more for background than anything. I really got
an idea from Kim Fuess's post about the experienced horse competing in the
LDs for BC or rather disqualifying herself. Perhaps AERC (and even CTR
competitions could use this) could use a rating and placing system similiar to what is
used in my "other sport" duplicate bridge playing. I will try to explain how
it works in bridge. Points are awarded to players who win different levels
of events. The lowest are games at clubs, then sectional tournaments, regional
tournaments, then nationals and even worldwide events. The number of points
awarded depends on the level of the event, the number of persons entered and
the level of the persons competing. Many times a winner gets only a fraction
of a point. Points are accumulated over the persons lifetime. So everybody is
then ranked by their "masterpoints." Anyone over 3000 points would be
considered a topnotch player, less than 100 a beginner. When an event is
stratified it is set up by points with A strat for persons with over 3000, B strat for
those with less than 3000 but more than 300, C strat for less than 300. All
of these people play against one another however, A ranked people can only
place in the number of positions allowed to A, B or C players who score better
than A can take those positions away from them; same with the B level players
there is an allotment of positions for them but some C level folks can take away
or place in those B positions; while the C level folks have an allotment of
positions. I have seen C level players take A1 & B1 away often. Now to turn
that to AERC positioning. Miles could be used in place of points. Any distance
could be set up to have positions for A, B, C (or more levels if reasonable).
Then finishing order would determine the placing in their level or higher
levels if they beat out other individuals. This would work for both Endurance
and LD rides. For BC the individuals for all of the levels would be considered
(even if a C did not beat any A or B horse).

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but I think it could work. It might
take some time to work out the levels and number of positions (this is based
on number of participants) or could be top ten for each level. It could also
be carried over to AERC year end awards.

Carolyn Sullivan
15375

Express yourself with the new version of MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown