[RC] Changing LD - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been continuing to monitor the posts that support reclassifying LD as an
endurance ride, and increasing the awards/recognition associated therewith. One
particular argument put forth has brought attention to the fact that 100 milers
have been somewhat less attended recently, and that current and future LDers
may undergo the same attrition if we don't sweeten the pot to keep their
interest by enhancing the status of LD. The implication in such an argument
plays to the fear factor that says if we don't do what a few are pushing for,
there will be hell to pay that will manifest in drastically reduced numbers of
LD participants, as droves of riders will take thier saddles and go home if
they can't have the sport redefined and points and miles  accumulated to suit
them.
 Truman, I think you recently gave specific statistics laying out the
numerical trends of attendance in 100 milers. I would respectfully ask , if you
are able, that you show us what the attendance trend has been since the LD
program was instituted. In other words, did the development of the LD system as
it currently stands lead to dramatic interest and growth of new participants,
only slight growth,a slight decline in interest, or a dramatic downturn in
attendance at LD events across the country.
  I have my suspicions as to what the answer is, but let's take a look at the
data.   Truman, if you please?

Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith