Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1432 - Chipnml

Okay... I've been reading this rehash of LD vs Endurance (pretty much the same stuff I read a few months ago when I first signed onto Ridecamp) and finally thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth.  I have many friends who would be considered "career LD riders."  For whatever reason, they have chosen not to do 50's.  I respect them and applaud their successes.  I don't CARE if they NEVER do endurance.  They are my friends and we support each other no matter what.  That being said....The difference between 25 and 50 miles is a big one.  I learned that when I started doing endurance after doing CTR for many years.  It wears you out more.  It's more stressful for your horse.  Where you can squeak through LD making a few mistakes, you cannot in endurance.  I do not want my LD and endurance mileage "counted together" as ":Smuncy" suggests, even though it would bring my horse and me that much closer to our 3000 miles.  I want to be recognized for the special effort I put in to prepare for and complete 50 miles.  I don't mean prizes (I'm a back-of-the-packer), I mean the respect of my fellow riders and the vets when I bring my horse into the final vet check in good shape.

Chip and SA Cheers