[RC] Decline in 100's - rides2far

Truman says "Only 8% did a 100 last year",

Nina Said:
  I haven't done 100's in around 4 years, because I have been
starting a new
horse.

I didn't do any 100's last year and 100's are my number one focus right
now. I think of doing a first 50 on a horse, but just as a first step to
an eventual 100.  I haven't even found a new horse but any incentive
program for 100's will be for me, and for Nina, and for all wannado 100
milers who didn't do one last year because we didn't have a horse to do
one last year. Those awards are also for people who are sort of in a rut
doing 50's. They've conquered that challenge and maybe they need a little
incentive to go out of their comfort zone and find out what they're
really capable of. Awards are also incentives...goals made tangible.

I'll be starting a new horse soon, but I don't need any 25 mile incentive
program. If I happen to start a 4 year old and am forced to start in 25's
the last thing I need is a short term goal (speed) that will conflict
with my long term goal (endurance). That 100 mile goal way up ahead is
where my eyes are focused. It takes a long time to make a 100 mile horse
and we've sold an awful lot of them lately just as they got there. That
might make a bit of a dent in the supply of ready competitors.

Numbers aren't everything. You've got to use your knowledge of the sport
to interpret them, not bend them to your purpose.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight! Heidi
Sowards... but then again... REAL endurance is riding behind someone who
ate egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ author unkown