Re: [RC] Fw: from PNER list with author's permission - heidi

As for the competition part, though, the different nature of the shorter
distance requires a different form of competition, which accounts for
the differences in format (such as pulse-down time for finish time, and
not giving points for placing).

This is the part that seems to be just whizzed past by the proponents of
redefining endurance.  The reason for reformatting the shorter distance
and using entirely different parameters was a horse welfare issue.  Vets
simply cannot get hands on the horse enough in such a short mileage and
short time span to "regulate" the pace of the horse with vet checks.  If a
rider rides crazy on an LD, the race is over, the horse has gotten his
completion, and may even be in the trailer on the way home before he
crashes.  And this happened time and time again.  Yes, this still happens
occasionally at longer distances--but the occurrance is rare.  One has
already slowed down the unfit horse with the gates into the holds along
the trail, so not having a "gate" at the end works.  IMO as a ride vet,
the ONLY things that have made the LDs viable from a vetting perspective
are the pulse down at the end (I think that is the BIGGEST part--and that
alone makes LD an entirely different "flavor" than endurance) and the
removal of "racing for points."  The latter may not be as much of a factor
today as it used to be, granted.  But the former is still the #1
protective feature of the LD, and I'll say it again, it completely changes
the nature of the "race."

(And I am still utterly amazed that the two main proponents on this list
of "racing" LDs and "making them endurance rides" cannot seem to make this
all-important connection--and both are among the most vocal that AERC
should "do something" every time the issue of horse welfare comes up.
Well, AERC DID "do something" with regard to horse welfare in this
case--they made LD a different sport for the sake of the horses!  And I,
for one, say BRAVO! because it meant that we could have our cake and eat
it too--we could have LD rides for those who want to be a part of the "big
picture" and be inside the "AERC tent" on days that they don't choose to
do endurance, for whatever reason.  This choice has been good--both for
AERC and for those riders who wish to ride shorter distances.)

Heidi

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes