Re: [RC] Decline in 100's - heidi

I actually don't see the jump from 50 to 100 any bigger than the jump
from 75 to 100. From some work done by Mike Maul some time back he
showed that pull rates are pretty consistent up to about 75 miles but
between this and a 100 there is a big jump. So that wall is somewhere
between 75 and 100.

As both a veterinarian and a rider, I can tell you that for the rider, the
gap between 50 and 75 is more significant than the gap between 75 and 100.
As a veterinarian, I see the effect of modern breeding for specialization
(show ring and track) taking its toll.  For horses of modern breeding,
there IS a wall between 75 and 100--and this ups the pull rate.  For the
classic horses, we never did find the wall--even back when we used to run
150s and 200s (yep, not multidays--150 run in 36 hours, and 200 run in 48
hours).  I never did vet a 200, but I did vet some 150s--and the horses
just seemed to be able to keep going, and going, and going....  But I also
see a big segment of the modern equine population that does indeed start
to struggle at around 75 or 80 miles.  (And as a breeder, I find this
tragic.)

Heidi

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris