Re: [RC] when to wean? - JANUSTUDIO

In a message dated 5/14/04 11:56:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Elkenchild@xxxxxxx writes:

<<
I was wondering when it's best to wean a foal (I'm sure there's many right
answers for this one)? Is it preferable to wean slowly or by seperating the
mare
directly? Thanks!

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)

Back when I was breeding and raising foals. Oh how I miss that! The best way
I found to wean the babies was to simply put the mares on one side of a good
sound, fence and the foals on the other. The mares finally get bored waiting
for baby to nurse and wonder off to graze. After a week or so, they only come
visit on occasion and then I move the mares or babies to their own separate
pastures, paddocks etc. The way some TB breeders do it is to take out one mare
at a time (over a period of weeks) until all the mares are out of the foal
pasture. I never tried that, but it seems to work for them.

Good luck.

Jan
One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris