RE: [RC] LD/Endurance - David LeBlanc

Joe Long said:

An endurance ride is defined by its length, and that
definition is 50 miles or more in one day.

But this is somewhat a circular argument. Somewhat like how sometimes we get
a bug reported in software and the developer says that it was "by design".
Perhaps so, and maybe the design was even correct at the time, but it may
not be the best design now.

So, no, no one who has not ridden an endurance ride ... a
ride of 50 miles or more in one day .. is a true "endurance"
rider.

Language changes, and trying to fight that is tilting at windmills. For
example, I'm a hacker. I'm a hacker in the recent sense of the word as being
someone who programs computers and someone who pokes at computers to see how
they work. There's a much older meaning - someone who crudely makes
furniture, and I'm not that. Unfortunately, the press has turned "hacker"
into someone who is a computer criminal and I'm not that, either. I can
correct people all I want, but if I'm sitting next to someone on the plane
and they ask what I do, if I tell them I'm a hacker, they get worried. I
think that to many people, "endurance riders" are all of us and maintaining
the distinction will be about as effective as my trying to claim that I'm a
hacker, but not a computer criminal.

But they
are not an endurance rider until they successfully complete
an endurance ride.  That's the way it is.

We've discussed this before. I don't think doing one 50 is a sufficient
accomplishment for a title change. It just isn't that hard, or that big a
deal. If we wanted to have rankings like novice, master and grandmaster and
then made these ranks based on say mileage - maybe to graduate from novice,
you need > 250 miles - then that would be worthy of making a distinction. I
worked very hard for several years, then got to add a few letters after my
name, worked harder for longer and now get to add more letters. That's an
accomplishment worthy of a title change. It isn't a matter of making
anything easier. It's a matter of either making distinctions over something
that matters (doing it right), or not at all.

No amount of trying to make becoming an endurance rider
easier by lowering the definition to a shorter distance will
change that.

Actually, it can happen just by people commonly using the term to describe
anyone doing rides sanctioned by an endurance body. You'll argue they're
incorrect, just like I can argue that I'm really a hacker in the "true"
meaning of the word (conveniently ignoring the original meaning of a
furniture maker), and others will dismiss us as archaic (in the language
sense).

Making a worthwhile challenge easier so that
more people can or will "achieve" it doesn't actually allow
more people to achieve anything, it just cheapens the meaning
for those who actually prepare and do it.

Do you really think one 50 is a worthwhile challenge? I don't. I think
getting to 1000 miles is a worthwhile challenge. 5000 miles is really
impressive. A 3000 mile horse is really something. Not everyone can manage
that. Managing to complete one 50 is a pretty low bar. I'd even go as far as
to say that someone with 1000 LD miles and zero miles 50 and greater
probably knows more and deserves more respect than someone that did one 50
and hasn't done anything else.

I know there is a trend today to no longer reward excellence,
or have challenges with high standards, because it hurts the
"self-esteem" of those who can't or won't do what is
necessary to achieve them.  I hope we can keep that from
happening to endurance rides.

IMHO, if we're going to do that, then we ought not make distinctions that
don't effectively show a significant level of achievement, and we ought to
set up a system to recognize those with a real level of achievement. Many
other sports have several classes within the ranks and a well-organized way
of distinguishing between them. We don't really have such a system. I think
we should either have a really thoroughly laid out, logical system that
recognizes significant achievements, or not bother. My mother must have said
10,000 times, "If it isn't worth doing well, then it isn't worth doing at
all." Drove me nuts, but she was right.

I'm going to try to go back to lurking now... Really.

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing
for a wet, tired female Endurance Rider! A good crew person has patience, a
sense of humor, and knows that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all!
~  Jim Holland