[RC] Decline in 100's - David LeBlanc

Kathy Ramspott said:

I don't know the last time I have heard one of the riders that got into the
sport after about 1997 mention that. This growing disinterest has cause ride
managers to stop running them.

I started in 1998, and one day I'd like to make a 100. I've done 2 75's, and
when I can get my horse and myself to not be completely done at 75 miles,
then I'll try a 100. My wife wants to do a 100 - again, 3 75's and haven't
quite made the jump to 100 yet. A friend who just started last year aspires
to do a 100. Most of the people I know who started in the last few years at
least aspire to a 100, even if most of them don't see it as achievable any
time soon.

Look at how many 100's we had in the SE in the early 90's and look today.

We have 10 on the calendar this year for the NW. IMHO, having a bunch of
75's available makes it easier to have more 100's. If all I'd ever done was
50s, a 100 would seem impossible. Having done 75, I know I can do a 100 when
I'm ready - if I can do 75 miles in 14 hours (counting holds), then I really
ought to be able to get that last 25 in another 10!

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart