Re: [RC] Women who ride stallions - Tracy Cann

I used to ride a neighbor's older Appaloosa stallion whenever I could find the time.  He was a wild child, chargey, noisy, and otherwise full of himself all the time.  He'd had little handling and no riding in over 2 years until I showed up.  I kept riding him because it was fun and he was also the only horse available to me.  When I became pregnant he completely changed how he behaved around me.  The chargey, pushy, spoiled dork was gone, replaced by "Pokey the pony".  Really, he would poke along like an old nag on the same dirt roads he previously tried to run off with me on.  Sometimes he would start to dance around and then stop.  Also as my pregnancy progressed to the point where I couldn't fit in the saddle, he became more and more patient.  He would wait patiently while I hauled my ungainly ass up on his bare back with the help of a kitchen chair for our walk around the pasture (same pasture he had bucked me off in before my pregnancy).  I thought maybe I was being successful in training him until his owner caught me on him one day and ran up to us in a panic.  He said the horse had bucked him off a few days before and he didn't want me to ride him anymore.  I was almost 9 months pregnant at the time and riding this horse was the only thing that made me feel better so I was really bummed out.  Fortunately I went into labor 2 weeks later and had a little girl to keep me busy.  I don't know how he knew I was pregnant and not just fat.  I guess it could be smell or something but I thought that stuff was species specific.  Maybe it's something we (people) don't pick up on anymore.  Who knows but it was weird.  I only rode him once after I had my baby.  We just rode around in the pasture but he was back to his bouncy, chargey self.  I moved away not long after that.

Tracy