[RC] True Endurance Riders - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Frank--
 Do you actually know someone who has spoken the words, as you put it,  "I
just ride, mile after mile, chasing points, and I personify the tenets of what
endurance riders are"? I think that's your assessment of what you think you see
others doing.
No one said it was "only about the miles and awards." I agree with you that we
all enjoy our riding on some level, but do you presume to know what level of
"compassion and consideration" everyone on the trail is riding with? Or how
much "degradation to the horse and the trails" they are causing? Based on these
criteria, would you like to be the one who spots these people masquerading as
"real endurance riders" (per your definition) and inform these imposters of
their blasphemy? Maybe they are just beginners, riding with some ignorance on a
given day. Maybe they have done their training and can travel safely at speeds
you and I would never dream of.
It sounds like you are saying that if endurance riders aren't enjoying their
ride (which is a highly personalized mental function) the way you think they
should enjoy it, they ought not bother to even show up. That smacks of elitism
to me. Who wants to sign up to police our rides to inform that 100 miler who
has purchased a horse (and horse facilities,i.e., barn,truck, trailer, saddle,
etc.,) trained for months or years, paid his entry fee and dues to AERC, and
has ridden under harsh conditions for 20 hours that he just isn't cutting it
because he isn't enjoying the ride at a deep enough level or hasn't acheived
"symbiosis"? C'mon.
  I think the real debate here stems from the fact that the term "endurance
ride" is a specific nomenclature used to denote a ride of a certain distance,
and thus, difficulty. From that has sprung the term "endurance rider", denoting
someone who does endurance riding. Although this is a natural turn of events,
as far as I know the AERC rule book makes no effort to define "endurance
rider." Only what an "endurance ride" is.It seems there are those who need
their egos soothed by changing the nomenclature and status of LD (which serves
an official function) so they may, without guilt,or extra effort, assign
themselves the ill-defined title of "endurance rider" (which serves no official
function). I realize that there are secondary issues involving accumulated
miles and points, etc. But, according to you, this isn't about points and
miles, not for a "real rider", right? I would suggest that the terminology may
be less than perfect, but suffice to say that anyone who rides any distance at
an endurance event is involved in the sport of endurance riding. Just as anyone
involved in a 10k, half- or full marathon is involved in the sport of running,
or, more specifically, distance running.
 I must confess that of all the miles that I have done in endurance over 20
years, I was miserable during many of them. I have been chafed, sunburned,
bleeding, had my shoulder dislocated, dehyrated, unconscious, nauseated, lost,
tired and sore. And symbiotic? Not even close. I may have dropped some trash or
a water bottle along the way. But the personal satisfaction I have garnered
(emphasis on personal) has enriched my life in ways immeasurable. And known
only to me. Dare I say I have even taken pride in my mileage and point
accumulations, and those of my wife and my two pre-teen daughters? Knowing
this, where would it place me along the continuum of your criteria of the "true
endurance rider"? It would be helpful to know before I show up at Tevis or
renew my AERC dues.  The debate continues...    Bruce

have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton