[RC] the Shaikh's horse: DJB Abednego's Flame - firedancefarms

Hi,
I thought I would tell you a bit about the horse that the young Shaikh rode on the Biltmore last weekend.  I was thrilled to see he was riding one of "our" horses!
Here is a little bit of Benni's story...
Abednegos Flame, AHA #522745, was bred and raised by Diane Wright of northern Oklahoma. He was born June 10, 1995.   He is of rather mixed breeding...Crabbet, Polish, and old American.  He is by Aladdinns Sting, and has quite a bit of the old Ferzon, Azraff, Sureyn, Rafferty breeding.  What struck us in his local ad was his size...he was supposed to be huge..but you know how that usually goes.

When we got out of the car, here was this grey horse tied to a post.  He was a big horse, and he seemed very kind.  We looked him over, watched him trot, and said "definitely!"  He passed our tough critique to become one of the Firedance Farms horses.

I trained him and he was wonderful..everything and more than I had hoped for.  Since we are basically trainers, I try to keep a bit of a distance with our young horses...I want them to bond with their new owners, not me.  This is very hard, but I know if I like them, then someone else will, too.  Unfortunately Benni stole my heart, and he is one of only two horses that I have fallen in love with while here in training.

I took Benni to the Old Glory ride to do a 25. I was not planning on offering him for sale until I had done a 50 or two on him.  But  Darolyn spied him at the vet check, and before I could blink an eye, he was heading for south Texas!  Darolyn knows a good horse when she sees one, and Benni has not let her down.

The next time I saw Benni was 2 1/2 years later.  Amber, my daughter, was riding Ffire Storm+/ on a 100 in Armadillo.  She was going to ride with her friend, Brittany Dial, Darolyn's step daughter, and they were going to dress up for Halloween.  I will not forget them singing along at 10pm for a finish...it had been a miserable rainy day and they were very glad to finish.  And who is Brittany riding?  None other than Benni!

Benni is a great horse, and I am sure he carried his young rider proudly at the Biltmore!  He has stolen many hearts since mine, and I  wish I could have been there to cheer them on!

Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms