Re: [RC] [RC] Biltmore/Tieing-Up (recap) - Sluys Guys

I really want to thank all the folks who offered advise & support to me in this tying-up situation.
the following statement sent by Stagg Newman seems right on the money:
<<Cannot give you any simple answer. Maggie Price who had to manage
a mare, Annie, that had a real tendency to tie-up, particularly in
spring, used to say that tie-ups occurred when about a half dozen

factors aligned up wrong.>>

I Think all the reasons I gave played a part in the problem with the feed changes probably ranking the highest. A few other details I thought in connection with that are:
*After last years episode I cut his grain to maybe 1/4-1/2 a small coffee can but lately because were conditioning a lot I snuck it up to a can once a day. So, grain is out from now on.
* Also I had been giving a Vit E/SE supplement after last time but after reading conflicting info about selenium toxicity I quit because there was some in the supplement I was giving him (accel) I've been told that he should still be on it as the supplements don't have enough.

I would like to hear people's methods and experiences with bringing the horses back to work. The last time I took a very conservative approach which I will do again but I welcome any and all information you can give towards rehabilitation and prevention.
Thanks for your valuable information, this is a great forum!
Nancy Sluys

"Happy trails to you, until we meet again!"
             (Roy Rogers & Dale Evans)
                                           _\/
                                        O O

              ,--/