[RC] rider fear - larry Miller

Any of you around long enough to remember the start of competitive rides in the 70s?  I will never forget my first 2 day 60 on my very first arab who was spookier than anything I had ever ridden in my life.  My friends use to laugh, tell me to fasten my seat belt, and then have me lead!!  But I learned about spooking and backing big time when we had to open, from the back of our horses since we were not allowed off the horse for any forward motion on trail,  the SPRING gate.  One pulled this rope, the gate sprang open towards the rider and horse!!  I have never seen horses back and spook so fast as those arabs when we opened that gate.  No wonder I perfected the right handed death grip.  Jeanie