Re: [RC] [RC] That Time of Year.....again! - Truman Prevatt

There have been instances where lightining stuck the barn and wiped out several horses with one strike. The best in lightining is be low and not under a solitary tree. If the barn is the highest point it may not be the best place to be. When I was a kid we had a hay barn on the farm smoked twice by lightining. We built it back after the first time. Eight years later it got smoked again. We decided that mother nature had other plans for that patch of ground and rebuilt it someplace else.

Truman

Howard Bramhall wrote:
I try and look at it as where I would want to be given the current weather conditions.  When it comes to thunderstorms, I prefer to be inside some sort of shelter.  And, since I'm fortunate to have a barn that's still standing, that's where I put all of my horses.  I've seen too many horses struck by lightning down here while standing around out in the pasture under a tree.  Sometimes one bolt will get two of them at once because they're out there snuggling, protecting each other from the wind and the rain.

When it comes to the hurricanes (yes, it will soon be that wonderful time of year again), if it's bearing down on my neck of the woods, I choose to be out of town.  And, I'll take my guys with me even if it means making a couple of trips to a safer area.

If you think it's better for them to be outside during a horrific storm, picture yourself standing there next to them.  Then, think of the barn, and, if you'd feel safer inside the barn than outside in your field, that's where you might want to put your horses.  Think of where you'd like to be in that situation and I bet you make the best choice possible.

cya,
Howard

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.