Re: [RC] hot weather - RDCARRIE

If I could solve this problem, I'd have it made!  Pouring water on yourself would work great out west or elsewhere with low humidities - it's the process of evaporation of the water from your skin or clothing that cools you.  Here in the humid southeast, as others have mentioned, if you soak your shirt, it just stays wet and seems to hold the heat in (just like wetting your horse down and then failing to scrape it off does down here).  Besides, my shirt is always soaked with sweat in no time at all, so no need to add extra water to it.  ;)  I wear a 100 oz camelbak with water and Hydralyte in it (the lower sugar and sodium and higher potassium of Hydralyte as compared to Gatorade works better for me, not to mention that the taste of Gatorade almost makes me puke).  I will drain one of these 100 oz camelbaks of fluids EVERY loop (generally 10-15 miles here in CT region), plus drink a ton of water during holds, and I *still* won't pee till well after the ride (for a 4 hr LD), and might only pee once during a 50.  Of course, I sweat a LOT.  Seems I'm constantly taking fluids in, and still get in a deficit.  I end up with a killer headache after every ride.

I like Truman's idea of changing into a dry shirt at holds...might help cool me off for a bit.  Those cool neck bandana things don't work here - they get warm in no time, and then just hold the heat in.

Dawn in East Texas (wonder if I could get the ride vets to jug me during each hold?  <G>)