Re: [RC] wet foods - Alice Yovich

Jonni Jewell has suggested this to me as well. She even brought me some of the feed without any added molasses to a ride last summer. I put it in my trunk to try at home. Well, the next morning, I accidently fed it in the dark with mixed in water (I was still feeding a pelleted feed at the time and in the dark didn't realize there was a difference) II noticed that my mare didn't eat it but in my 4:30 befuddled brain couldn't figure out why. So I got her another bag of feed and didn't think anything else about it. She was a nut case all day. It wasn't until I got back to camp and realized that I had given her the beet pulp that I thought again that it must just not work for her.  I wish I could use it, but the last time (and I was feeding that which had molasses) I was taking my life into my hands she was so hyper. And she's not normally like that.

I don't usually feed a pelleted feed so that's why I had asked advice on adding water to other feed. I typically feed a 10% horse and mule and I add ground flax and corn oil. she only gets about 4 pounds (one scoop) of grain per day, fed in teh morning. When we're on rides, I give her more and of course, let her graze.

I feed carrots on the trail and we spend a lot of time grazing, but of course, I"m not racing anyone in NATRC.

since I'm planning to do some LD rides this summer I"m very interested in reading about how people change their feeding regime while in competition. I used to think I'd never want to do a 50, but my mind is changing.

Okay, I believe you. <g>  However, does the beet pulp you've been feeding
contain molasses (it'll say so on the feed tag)?  That might be causing the
trouble rather than the beet pulp itself.

Alice Yovich,
NATRC Reg. 4, Texas
www.equi-threads.com