>From Peggy Martin, and Gesa Brinks:

-----Original Message-----
From: Peggy Martin [mailto:peggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:39 PM
To: steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: GESA BRINKS
Subject: article

I'm riding in my first LD ride this Saturday, the wonderful (everybody tells
me) ride run by Terry Wooley Howe at Warner Springs in San Diego's beautiful
country. Gesa Brinks, our chiropractor healer magician 100 miler, is my
mentor, encouraging and educating me. Actually she's been a real dear,
answering a hundred questions. The following was her answer to a couple of
those questions that might help other first-timers.

Ok...so let's walk ya thru a ride. As you approach the vet check you will
see a sign saying "vet check 1/4 mile". (Terry usually always marks the 1/4
mi. point). Get off & loosen the girth. Lead him into the vet check. Get a
timer slip from the timer at entrance of vet check. It will most likely be
FREEZING!! Have Bernie blanket him as soon as you enter the vet check area.
Take Bayo over for a drink. If he is hot or his pulse is up you can sponge
his neck ONLY. You can ask for a courtesy check if you're not sure if his
pulse is down. After he meets his pulse criteria (usually 60 bpm), go and
see the vets. Have your timer slip & vet card ready before you get to the
vet. The vets may ask you to wait & let him eat for 15 min before having
him checked... they'll explain procedure at the pre-ride meeting. Plus..you
can always just ask. You'll need to remove Bayo's blanket for the trot out,
then put it back on him. For the rest of your stay, let him eat whatever he
wants. You should probably elyte him too. I usually do that just before 'I
'm ready to leave. Don't get in a panic if you find you are running out of
time before you are to leave. There is NO rule that says you can't hang out
at a vet check as long as you want to. I've been known to stay an extra 30
min to an hour if I felt my horse needed it. You won't need to stay that
long tho! . Be sure to feed & water yourself too. Very important! A
dehydrated rider can make mistakes & won't be having fun. When you are
ready to leave just give your timer slip to the out timer & they will tell
you when to leave. Let him drink at every opportunity. If you think he
might kick at someone, be sure to put a red ribbon of some kind, in his
tail. If there is a freak HOT SPELL...hahaha yeah right! I guess it could
happen, then you won't need to blanket him. Sponge the heck out of him from
the girth forward. Not on the back, hips, stomach or gaskin areas. The
water will be very cold & may cause him to cramp. Do this until his pulse
is down to criteria. Be sure to bring rain gear for both you and Bayo.

At the finish line you will need to bring his pulse down again for a
completion. After you cross the line dismount, loosen your girth, throw a
blanket over him if it's cold out, and get him a drink. Sponge his neck if
needed, to bring his pulse to finish line criteria. It may be different than
criteria at the vet check. Again...when in doubt...just ask. There will
most likely be a 30 min. exit vet check. Clean him up a bit if possible,
let him eat & drink. About 10 to 15 min. before your 30 minute recheck time
is up...head him back to the vets for his final check. Usually saddles off.
Blanket on if cold. Present him to the vets same as at the first vet check.
Then you can take him back & hand him to your crew and go and take a nap.

You'll do fine. Its all common sense. Just remember ..speed kills. That
should help to keep you sober throughout the ride. Walk the up hills, walk
or jog the down hills & trot when you can. BUT...MOST IMPORTANT OF
ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE FUN :>)
Gesa

1. Approaching vet check...get off loosen girth @ 1/4 mi. point.
2. check in with in timer & get timer slip
3. blanket if cold, water Bayo & yourself, sponge his neck if necessary.
4 get p&r after he hits criteria. Ask for courtesy check if needed
5 take Bayo to vets. Have vet card & timer slip ready for vet secretary.
6 put his blanket back on if cold after vetting
7 let him eat whatever he wants. Push the wet foods first, then hay if
he refuses the
wet stuffs. Carrots are always good to entice them to eat. YOU EAT
TOO.
8 electrolyte just before leaving & offer him some more water. Rinse his
mouth
after elytes. Tighten girth!!
9 check out with "out timer" when ready to leave. Give them your timer
slip
10 at finish line, loosen girth, bring his pulse down in order to finish.
You aren't done until his pulse hits criteria. If it's cold be sure to
blanket him. You can sponge his neck if needed.
11 when he meets criteria, take him to trailer to eat, unsaddle & rest a
few minutes. If it's cold, be sure to keep him blanketed.
12 10 min or so, before your 30 min hold time is up, take him back to
vets for exit vet check. Be sure to take your timer slip & vet card. It
sucks when you have to run all the way back to the trailer for them.
You can take some feed with you for him, just in case there is a long wait
in line. They can get kind of cranky after a long hard day & you keep
taking them away from their food.
13 Did you have fun ?

I carry water & carrots , elytes & vet wrap, an ez boot, hoof pick, knife
with leathermans tool & collapsible water bucket in my saddle packs. I
carry eye wash, pain killer, bandaids , sinus meds, antacids, strings/shoe
laces for repairs on tack, bug repellent, sun screen, munchies for me, vit
A ointment or desitin ointment, sunglasses, water & people elytes & chap
stick in my fanny pack. Also...don't forget to take several pairs of
gloves. They have a tendency to run away and hide on ya!

I have my horse carry a rump rug (can probably buy one there) This is to
keep their hind end warm. Avoid them getting chilled. A water proof
blanket is a must if bad weather is forecasted. Heck, even if it isn't
forecasted!! There are some nice waterproof ones that are light weight, so
they don't get too hot wearing them.

The vet check is at the 1/4 mi. campground. Final is in camp in the same
place you will be vetting in at. Bring along some resealable plastic bags.
Sandwich size is fine. You may need to put your riders card & trail map
inside to keep them dry. Also, some large heavy duty trash bags. If I
remember right, we gotta clean up after ourselves & the horses. A 25 miler
is done before ya know it. When you are all done & resting after the exit
vet check, just remember one thing.....if you were on the 50 miler...you'd
be 1/2 done!
Gesa Brinks