Re: [RC] [RC] 25 miler dogs - Flora Hillman

I have the best of both worlds -- my own dogs (blue merle Shelties) are my walking companions when I do my 4-5 mile on-foot walks/jogs down the road.  Fantastic dogs -- friendly, smart, pretty (I'm always having people stop to admire them), and being a herding breed they are always right there by your side or at heel.

When I ride, however, I take my neighbor's dog -- a 15" high thin wiry black mutt who shows a decidedly confused genetic heritage of Lab (color and muzzle), Chow (mottled tongue), terrier (wiry build of fast-twitch rock hard muscles), and one or two or twelve other breeds as yet unidentified.  But ... that little dog is a *powerhouse* of energy and drive, and can sure go the distance!!!  Non-aggressive, highly intelligent, and very horse savvy, too, which is a big plus.

The first time she went with me for something more than a simple hack down the road, I was taking my 100 mile endurance friend, Adrienne Hewitt, on a 26 mile trips over the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Shenandoah River and back.  The dog, seeing us trotting past it's farm (which is two farms over from mine),  "volunteered" to join us  -- unbeknownst to her owner who had waved hello as we went past and then went back to doing her barn chores.  The dog stayed far enough behind that we didn't notice her until we were at the base of the mountain,  several miles from my farm.  Too late and too far to turn back and take her home, and despite all our entries and threats she quietly refused to go back herself.  Well ... she ended up going over the mountain with us, all the way down the other side to the river where she shared our sandwiches and picnic lunch, and then back home.  Stuck with us the whole time -- except when she hied off three or four times chasing deer. Probably logged in 30 miles to our 26 - loving every second of the trip and still with gobs of energy to spare.  By the time we reached home, Adrienne and I were in total awe of this little dog's powers of endurance, and had aptly christened her "Enduro-dog".

My neighbor (a good friend and fellow foxhunter) told me to take the dog anytime I wanted, so ... the dog has been coming on all my conditioning and long distance training rides ever since.  Loves them, too!   If this dog was a horse, she'd be a world class Endurance champion!

On the insurance issue  -- not a deep concern because I don't own her; however .... I am responsible if I invite her along and thus are careful not to take her on private property where other dogs are in residence, or on roads with fast traffic, or in fields with livestock that might take "exception" to her presence -- meaning when she comes along for the ride,  I have to plan my route accordingly.  Fortunately, my riding territory is mountain paths, public gravel roads, and the spacious fields and pasturelands of Virginia foxhunting country, so it is generally no problem having her tag along.  Most of the riders around here (foxhunters, eventers, and carriage drivers) take their dogs along for the ride/drive, anyway, so I've yet to hear of it being an issue.

Besides, the increasing reports of black bear appearances in the eastern Blue Ridge -- which I've yet to encounter even on my frequent trips up and down the slopes, but others have honestly seen -- make it more reassuring for me to have her along, even if it's just for her to give me a "warning" that something in the surrounding woods might be amiss.