[RC] Southern California - picking up horse poop (Sandy) - Jonni Jewell

It seems I had mentioned in my note on RC when you asked about horse
property, that where you were looking, (Aliso Viejo) was a VERY expensive
area to move to. There are PLENTY of places to have horses in that
area....if you have over a million to spend. San Juan Capistrano has been a
very strong horse community forever. Didn't they have a ride at Casper's
park? (off the Ortega Hwy, east of I-5) And trails at Laguna Coast
Wilderness Park (Laguna Beach)  at Aliso And Wood Wilderness Park ( Laguna
Niguel.) But again, those areas are very expensive.

Living in Southern California most of my life, I realize how very spoiled I
was, to have the ability to ride from my house, on to the trails. First, as
a kid in Glendale, riding the wonderful trails of Griffith Park (right in
the middle of the city...but you would never know it when you got up in the
hills) Then in the San Fernando Valley, with access to the San Gabriel
mountains, that could connect me to the Pacific Crest Trail. I could have
ridden to Mexico or Canada, from my door. Lynne is out in Norco, that is one
of the strongest horse communities in the US.  Tie rails at McDonalds,
trails to businesses. And, the only city I have ever heard of, that made it
illegal to have Oleander plants. Oleander is VERY poisonous to horses.Norco
is VERY horse minded!  I bet 99% of the properties in Norco, that are zoned
for horses, you can ride to the trails. Same with the Sunland area. Great
riding!  These are just a few of the areas that have some of the best riding
and conditioning trails I have ever been on.  BUT, life in So. Calif. is not
for everyone. We decided we wanted more room, so we moved to the largest
state in the lower 48. And you know what???? There are not many places in
Texas, with public lands, that you can live next to, and ride on to trails,
from your own property. Weird, huh? All these horses, but they did not plan
for public lands. Many private ranches...if you can get permission to ride.
So, I trailer 30 min. to ride the LBJ Grasslands, with over 50 miles of
marked trails.

I miss some of the riding, and mountains in So. Calif., but do not miss the
congestion. We went for 1/2 of an acre, to 60 acres. We al have to choose
what we need, and where to live and be happy. Sandy is lucky to have trails
to ride to from her door....just as are many, many of the folks in So.
Calif.
Jonni in TX