Re: [RC] Southern California - picking up horse poop - Lynne Glazer

Wow, Sandy, that's quite the blanket-statement, " the folks in Southern California REALLY have a challenge to do endurance".

**Orange County** and the coastal LA and San Diego counties, where the land value and population density is highest--there I'd agree with your statements. If I remember right, you asked about Orange County, and Carlsbad (north San Diego county). The horse poop conundrum is about the water runoff into the OCEAN, they say--in any event, it's high dollar property close to the coast.

Inland, there is considerable horse property and certainly considerable trails too. Take a look at the PS ride schedule--how could we put on so many rides if there wasn't terrain for it? We *don't* have a challenge here to do endurance. We DO often have more of a challenge in terms of commuting distance to work, and we pay more for our land than folks in many other parts of the country. Not many of us endurance riders live within commuting distance to Aliso Viejo (I have a 700 rider database). There's a reason!

People manage, though. Up in Malibu there is a considerable contingent of endurance riders who might choose to trailer a short distance to one of the Santa Monica mountains trailheads, home of 30 years of the Malibu endurance ride, and hundreds of miles of trail--some don't have to trailer at all, for some of the best conditioning terrain in the world.

Suffering, uh, enjoying 300 riding days of sunshine a year (when it ain't windy, quaking--oh yeah, you have those too, mudsliding or burning),

Lynne
(and boarding for the last dozen years where there are 85 miles out the front gate, and moving to zoned agricultural acreage where 50 miles ridden in a day is eminently practical, though like everywhere else where the weather is nice, developers could overrun it too).