[RC] Egyptian rider travelling to San Francisco - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Mohamed Kharma, who is my neighbour and the head of the infant Egyptian Endurance Riders Association, is travelling to San Francisco on the 15th of January. He'll be staying at the Westin near Union Square. We were out riding this morning in the desert and he mentioned that he'd love to find some time to ride there or visit with riders, so I offered to contact Ridecamp. I don't know what his schedule will be, but I keep trying to get these guys in touch with someone who can show them an AERC ride or talk to them about riding and conditioning....ANYTHING, in the cause of education. Most of them aren't as pushy as I am <VBEG> so they don't know how to find out what is going on when they travel. All these guys have seen have been the first fun 20 km ride we had in 2000 and then a string of horrible, depressing, unfortunate exhibitions of UAE arrogance and wealth. That isn't endurance, but it's hard being the only voice in the wilderness. If there is anyone out there who can even take Mohamed out for dinner or drag him off for a ride or a conditioning ride, then maybe I will have another voice here. Checking the ride calendar, the only ride would be Fire Mountain on the 17th of January and my California geography is a bit rusty so I'm not altogether sure how far that is from the Bay area.

Anyway, as I said, anything would be good. Even just a ride so he can spend some time talking to people. Mohamed's English is just fine and he also speaks French. He's in his 50's and has two teenage daughters who ride with us. Nice man.

Maryanne
Cairo