[RC] DVE Day 3 - bechack

Well, I slept well, because I like the sound of RAIN on the camper.
Yes, rain.  It rained all night.  Forcast was for rain today as well.
Well, I have rain gear, so packed it on the horse.  No problems.

Was careful tacking up this morning.  Have gone 100 miles now, lots
of up and down, but there wasn't the slightest hint of back soreness.
No "armpit" raw spots.  No loin rubbing.  Everything doing great.  Oh
yes, once again I am the test dummie for another new product.  Katee
of Heels Up Saddlery has come up with a pad that has a bottom of
material that DOES NOT SLIP, breathes well, doesn't let sweat soak in
to the felt.  She put lots of thought in to the design of this pad.
I have been riding it for a month or so at home without a problem,
but the true test is always a multi-day ride.  Well, so far so good.
Two more days to go.

The morning was warmer while tacking up, so I took off the sweatshirt
before putting on my windbreaker for the day.  Error in judgement.
It was a lot colder this day than past years.  Just like every day so
far.  Oh well, just trot more!  This is a good day for moving out.
There are only 15 miles or so of hideous rocks today. That leaves you
35 miles of good trotting.  So that is just what we did.

On the longest stretch of the notorious rock road, someone we passed
asked "how long is this"....answer "too long", but then you get to
the sand wash.  If you are careful to watch for deep sand, you can
move pretty fast.  For 5+ miles you are going UPHILL in the sand
though, so you have to know your horse pretty well.

So off the rock road, up the sand wash to the old vet check and
around the corner to the other sand wash down to the vet check.  All
of the horses are looking great.  Drink everywhere.  Of course, water
is only about every 10-12 miles.  Sure makes the horses learn to
drink when they have a chance.  If you go slow enough, it has
literally been hours since the last water.  Some years on this day I
have actually gotten HOT.  Not this year..  But is wasn't nearly as
cold as that mountain yesterday, which is still covered in snow
clouds.  Sure glad we aren't up there today too!

In to the Vet check and Ed and Rocky are doing great.  Eating,
eating, eating.  We stay a few extra minutes because there isn't
anything to eat out on trail out here.  They stop to rest so we go
vet them though.  No problems.  Both boys look great.  So back in the
saddle we are.  Off for another long trot stretch.  Sue and I aren't
able to trot non-stop, but the breaks are less often and last less
time.  Training at home, there isn't a mile where you can trot
non-stop, so being able to trot 2-5 miles out here is our only
training ground.  It is always me that has to stop, so this is great.
I have never felt so good across this valley floor before.

Two things I credit with this is loosing 30 lbs (30 more to go) and
sticking with Atkins durning the ride.  I had no energy problems on
any of the days.  I always get looks when I eat my hunk of cheese,
but I have always liked to eat a hunk of Jack Cheese.  That with some
applesause, ziplock of nuts and some Crystal light. The amazing thing
for me was that I never felt hungry between, and I didn't feel
uncomfortably full after the vet checks.  This is realy new for me.
Sometimes after lunch, trotting can be very uncomfortable.  This is
great.

So off we go down the valley floor.  They are moving rigs again, and
there are still many going past as we trot, and trot and trot.  The
road is 3-5 miles away on our left.  I don't know if they can see us
over here or not.  Sometimes the rigs look like toys.  They are so
far away.

The jets are flying again today.  My first year here, they buzzed us
so close, you could see the sunglasses on the pilots!  They were much
higher this year.  Probably 1000 feet at times.  So cool to watch
them.  Good thing is Ed doesn't seem to mind.

We get to the last water.  NOw it is a left turn and 4 miles up the
side of the road to camp.  Ed sure knows where he is.  He is on a
misson.  Power walking whenever we aren't trotting.  We are getting
in the earliest I think I have ever done this day.

As we approach what earlier in the day is the finish line, there is a
white van parked on the right side of the road facing us.  I had
crossed the road to the right, thinking they must have left the
finish line out here this year.  Did I mention that I am getting old
and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.  As we get close, it
turns out to be tourists.  A whole passle of tourists.  4 Adults and
6 or so kids.  Two of the kids are way up on the side of the rock
hill, sliding down.  The rocks are providing avalance material.  One
of the adults was holding a baby with a very loose blanket whipping
around in the wind.  Ed is taking this all in, dancing, gigging,
snorting.  You would think this was the start of a 50, not 150 miles
in to a Multi-day ride!  I was just about ready to get off or wait
for Rocky to keep him settled.  Took too long.  Ed was out-a-there.
Spun to the left leaving me in the same spot in mid-air without my
horse.  I had seen a car approaching us from behind.  The only thing
I could think of as I was sliding down the right side of his neck was
"hang on to the horse, hang on to the reins"  Ed did back up a drug
my a couple of feet.  But then he did stop.  This time I just bounced
a little on my RIGHT hip.  At least he found a new spot to bruise up.
Well, there was only a 1/2 mile to camp and I thought I could walk,
wrong.  So I got back on.  That was still easier than walking.
Miranda was at the finish line so was able to have her trot Ed out
for me.  I was able to walk across the street to our rig.

I asked why we were parked where we were and was informed that the
runway we usually park on was actually being used AS A RUNWAY  for a
real life plane.  Who'da thunk it.!  Mike Benson has pictures too!

So once again, a spit shower, dinner and bed.   Ready for day 4.

Becky and the gang