[RC] DVE Day 2 - bechack

Day 2 dawned with us all tacked up and it was COLD.  As of the ride
meeting last night, we were supposed to go all the way up this
mountain.  This Mountain goes up to 9000 feet.  It was less than 30
degrees down where we were and the snow clouds were looming.  As we
started, Jackie said we only had to go up to the water trough and the
glacier, write our name on the paper, and come home.  Yeah!  So we
set off.  Sue and I started off at a great little walk.  OOps, there
is Heather and Marc.  Ed decides that is who he wants to be with.
Berzerk.  I still had him in the S hack and he knew it.  Miranda was
at the Balarat vet/ trot by.  Asked her to find my bit. Now if I can
survive until I get back down off the mountain.   So off we go
up the hill.

Ed was a little more cooperative going UP.  It was nice.  It really
surprised me that the front runners didn't come back at us until we
were up near the water. Ed was so thirsty he pushed his was in to the
trough.  He and Rocky really tanked up.  That was really nice to see.
Half way!  So down the mountain we go.  Now Ed decided he wanted to
hurry.  Ed has such a walk.  It is actually a running walk / gait.  I
don't know what we look like, I just know it is smooth and he just
FLIES down the trail this way.  The biggest problem is I didn't want
to fly DOWN the mountain.

Well, we made it down off the mountain in one piece.  Not really sure
how.  Miranda was there and had found Ed's bit and had brought it
back to the vet check with her.  What a great crew!  Thank goodness
my new headstall just has clips at the bit ends, so that change only
took about 30 seconds.

From Ballarat, Sue and I actually got to see some new trail, since to
go straight back to camp would short the mileage since we didn't go
all the way up the mountain.  So we did the LD loop backwards.  Flat
with good footing.  The scenery didn't change much, but it was nice
after all of the walking we did up and down the mountain.  The bit
gave me so much more control and a whole lot less head shaking,
wanting to go faster.  He knew we weren't going to.  End of argument.
In the S-hack, it became just a long constant argument.  Day one had
been just fine.  No problem or argument, just ok, Mom, what ever you
want.  They do get more fit as you go on a multi-day. By day four I
had a "super-horse".  At least he thought so.

Along the whole stretch down along the road, we would look up the
mountain and see the whole area engulfed in snow clouds.  It had been
so cold only as far as we went, I was so glad we hadn't gone further!

It clouded up and looked like rain all afternoon.  The light on the
clouds really made for something pretty to look at.  We actually
passed a couple of riders in the last 5 miles.  The desert is so
funny.  You can see camp.  Looks close.  Then you ride for a while,
look up and it isn't any closer.  It can be very discouraging unless
you are used to it.

We finished with lots of boing in the step of both horses, both eager
to get back to the trailers to drink and eat. There was plenty of
time to take care of the ponies, eat, shower AND get to the ride
meeting.  My only question was, SAME AS LAST YEAR?.  YUP.  Good, that
makes it so easy.  Don't need no stinkin ribbons that way.  Some
years there has actually been sabotage out here.  You wouldn't think
there would be another sole out here, but there are.  It is easy when
you have done it before.  There just aren't that many options out
here.  So off to bed early.  Boy does that feel good.  I can ride
without any discomfort but still can't trot out my own horse.  Oh,
well, there is always someone there to trot out the horse.  I just
have to ride, right?

Next, day 3....or how I got matching bruises....
Becky and the gang