[RC] travelling *funky* - rides2far

It's called "crabbing" and he was probably looking for a way to
extend> without his hinds hitting his fronts. >ggg<

He'd have needed eyes in his rear feet to hit his fronts...they were all
over the place themselves.

I give whomever lots of > credit> for riding this guy those 1000 miles
and in particular the 100.

I rode him the first 500 miles. You had to have a short stirrup, and give
a little extra umph forward as your tush met saddle or you'd get a double
bump. You had to keep squeezing him forward or he'd have just as much
movement, but sort of start doing it all in one place. The movement just
got vertical instead of horizontal. His neck was short and a bit upside
down. He looked a lot like a camel on a cartoon. (Maybe I can find a
photo to scan and one of you can post it. This needs a link! >g<)

When he went up a steep hill he never seemed to lean forward much and you
had the feeling he was going to start falling backwards. It was a junior
(Rebecca Houts) who rode him in the 100. I think she ended up with a
total of 1000 miles on him. She was a good rider, but gave up endurance
not long afterwards. I always wished she'd tried it on at least one other
horse to see what it *could* have felt like. I think I deserve just as
much credit for completing the Edgemont 50 on him as she got for the 100.
He was such a crappy hill horse I led him up most of that *steep* mtn.
ride. Darned near killed me. In my memory that ride was close to
impossible. I wonder if I'd have even noticed it on Kaboot.

I > rode a> friend's horse to try and re-school her and she crabbed on
top of
travelling> hollow-backed. She'd wear me out in 15 miles. One thing I
can't
stand is> riding a crooked horse.

I wouldn't have dared to fix one thing on that horse. It was a miracle
that any of it worked and if you'd changed anything at all the whole plan
might have collapsed.

I'd attribute that to their brain. They're > so> single-minded it never
occurs to them to stop. (Maybe that was your > Isaiah> too?) I still
think the brain is the most important element.

Oh no. He was not especially forward. He's very happily a kid horse
now...obese and totes around some little kids. He had a 28 resting pulse
and great recoveries. Heart monitors were useless on him since his gait
was his limiting factor. He did some funny things. I wish I'd bothered to
take a photo of him towing kids up hills on their rollerblades. They'd
just grab his tail and he'd plod on. One day loggers had knocked down
about a 12" diameter tree on the mountainside and mud had washed down
next to it and made a bog. He looked at the bog, looked at the mud, and
then just stepped up on the tree and walked it like a footlog to the
other side. Kaboot was green at the time and just hopped up and walked it
behind him. Not as easy for Kaboot since he didn't rope walk. >g<

I also > think
that whomever rode Isaiah is a heck of a horseperson.

Those of us who rode him had never ridden a good Arab. He was the first
for both of us and we thought that's what Arabs felt like. I doubt I
could do it again now that I know better.

Hmmmmm...
maybe it was
the same person who says any pasture potato can do a 25?

Hey...he may have proved any old pature potato can do 100! >eg<

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!