[RC] conditioning from a newbie - Crisco41

i have read what i can find on the boards, and bought a book on endurance. I have a heart rate monitor (THANKS Santa), and a gaited mare. I am just wondering how long it should take and how extensive the prep for getting her ready for a 20 or 30 miler. Am I right in thinking that I should do long slow distance work with her heart rate below 140 to start? I have a pretty full schedule..and no trails near me.When i ride I have to trailer about 45 minutes away. There the trails are awsome..and we have ALOT of hills..of varying steepness. There is fields, and trails thru the woods. It is awsome. Bu tit is not something i can do daily..or  even every other day. Someone told me that any reasonably fit horse can do a 25. I have no hopes of placing, i simply would like to complete. My mare is 4. any training tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks  lori(and ebony sparkling premiere)