[RC] Biltmore 4? - rides2far

I'm back at Kinkos again. I could get used to this air conditioning
today. The ride is in full swing so I'll give a quick report and hit
the road.

Got in bed after 1 AM after sending last night's post. I'm sure
everyone loved me for pulling into camp with a loud truck and shining
my lights in their windows hunting a place to park.

Gave some serious thought to getting up to cover the "action" at
5 AM when the 100's were preparing to start. I really thought about it
but the sleeping bag was warm and it was chilly outside. Since I found
out that I'd parked practically in the vet check I could have seen
pretty well from there if Josie & I hadn't fogged up the windows so
bad so I decided to report by listening. The big flash was, "Ann
Stewart would you please check in with the timer". I imagined Ann
sneaking off to get a one hour lead and get caught but it was nothing
so dramatic. She'd already checked in and gone back to the trailer and
they hadn't marked her off. "Running back to the trailer" when you
parked in the FEI field involved putting another mile or so on your
horse so I was impressed.

The volume of horses to hit the first vet check was amazing. To see
that many 100's come in at once was pretty intimidating to the workers
but they were so determined to be the model of efficiency that the
horses practically had to trot to keep up with the line moving
forward. The top 20 or so horses were within minutes of each other. I
ran around like crazy trying to get all the numbers, recoveries
etc. and after it was done realized when they were that close together
it was pretty meaningless. Talked to Stagg Newman. He was calm and
collected, riding his ride, planning to make his moved later. Val &
Cia seemed to be in no hurry whatsoever. The maroon shirted crew for
the Sheik's son stood out as you looked across the check. They're
serious about their work and look like a human wall waiting behind the
crewing line for him to come in. There's a huge camper trailer that's
their base and a couple of poor guys in 3 piece suits in the
sweltering sun patrolling outside. We offered one a t-shirt but he
declined. Hope he doesn't end up on fluids. >g<

By the 2nd check horses started to drop out...and there seems to be a
pattern, lots of tight in the rear descriptions. Talked to one of the
riders who said she was walking the hills, riding smart and this was
her horse's first problem like this. Talked to another running top 10
in her first 100 whose horse was trying to tie up at 40 miles or
so. He's a mountain horse who is used to the hills and used to
speed. Biltmore Syndrome strikes again. Maybe we'll get some clues
from the AERC EKG research they're running. I think they were going to
run bloodwork on some of these horses even though they hadn't been
participating in the study. (I'm repeating things that I'm guessing,
or may have heard wrong, all comments should be taken not as fact)

The third leg was the toughest, longest and most technical...just the
thing Stagg & Super excel at. By the time the horses left the third
check Stagg had taken the lead. The exit exams on the 100 seem to be
catching quite a few horses and the numbers are dwindling fast. I
wonder if some of these things are things the horses would warm back
up out of. One vet who is riding voiced concern at the number of exit
exams taking away from the horses's down time. I'm afraid that if in
fact several horses are pulled for being stiff at them the riders will
further cut back on the eating & resting time by having to keep them
moving.

The heat is pretty intense. We'll see who lasts. The winners of the 50
came in. I gave that info to John. The most amusing thing I saw was
Junior Samantha Thomson having to drink over 2 pints of water to make
weight at the end. The amusing part was that she seemed to have no
trouble downing it. Hope she never gets in a chug a lug contest.

Poor John can't follow what I'm trying to tell him on the times. I
find the difference in arrival & P&R times to be the most interesting
way to try to predict how the horses are really doing. So...Josie is
stationed with the in-timers taking names & times, Bonnie & I are
looking over the shoulder of the P&R in timers. Then we compare and
see who recovered in least time. Dinah Rojek was fascinated reading it
and suggested I make copies of my list for the vets doing the
research. As I walked by those guys I showed them on my list a horse I
haven't seen but I thought they'd be seeing soon. Its name came round
on the next pull list and I said "Told ya so". Josie thought she'd
hate not having a horse here but she's feeling like she's learning a
ton. She's so efficient the in-timers have corrected their sheets off
Josie's notes. :-)

I'm off to work on my red neck sunburn.
Angie